Monday, August 26, 2013

Give me some skin

Well its time to document the skins.

First step is to mark and cut out all the panels. I used a hacksaw blade for all the easy to access panels and a sharp chisel for the really tight panels. Thanks for the tip guys!

Here is a shot of the skins as panels are being cut. Make sure to number all the panels first.



Next i had to bond all the panels together. I used 3M VHB  tape. I did a tutorial on this as well and ill link the video here. Its a bit boring :)


Next i prepared my Dexter set for some painting. First like many other members, i started with Duplicolor self etching primer. I did about 2 - 3 coats.


Then about 3 or so coats of rustoleum auto primer and last i did 4 coats of Rustoleum Satin White. Its important to read the can. You can do a second coat within 1 hour or AFTER 48 hours. If you dont follow you'll get orange peal.

Once that fully dried it was time to bond the skins together. I was nervous but decided to just go for it. I used 5mil 3M VHB tape for this as well. I didnt want to try to clean a mess of jb weld or silicone off the nicely painted skins. 


I tried lining them up as best i could. This would be easier with 2 people. My back skins were a tiny off but nothing noticeable.  I pressed them tight and held them with cheap clams from Harbor Freight.

Same for the front panel. This was a lot easier to line up because you can use the coin slots as a jig to hold them true. 

Lastly the back door. I didn't cut my inner skins properly. I had to do a lot of filing to get it to fit :) But its all good now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment